There are several ways you can make water purification more sustainable - beyond recycling your exhausted cartridges:
- Right-size your water purification. Often, centralized water systems are over-sized for its facility, which can result in wasted water.
- Choose purification technologies that reduce the amount of water consumed. Systems that integrate water-saving technologies like MilliporeSigma's RiOs and Elix systems use significantly less water and energy to produce the same amount of water as competing technologies.
- Incorporate the drains from your water purification systems into a grey water or brown water recovery system.
- Dispose of your water systems' UV lamps responsibly. They can be treated in the same way as your organization's fluorescent lamp program, and are not part of the ech2o® program.
- Use your water purification system instead of bottled or packaged water in your lab, whenever possible. Not only is freshly-prepared purified water from a water system best for your application, it takes up less space in the lab, and doesn't consume as many resources to ship and potentially store.